Water and electronic don’t mix, right? – Wrong. Some smartphones can handle rain while other can even take a fall into a puddle. If you are accident prone (like me) or are generally careless about your phone, you should check out what we have in store for you.
We picked out phones that are not to tubby or covered with thick plastic layers. We tried to create a list that includes everyday phones that are suitable for everyone. Now days, some of the best phones, most stylish phones are waterproof.
Phones with high IP ratings get amazing results if they fall into water. IP rating is called “Ingress Protection” – it means sealing capacity of an electronic device against any kind of liquid or moisture.
The IP rating do not only consider water, they also consider dust. But since we are discussing waterproof phones today, we will deal with resistance to water only.
Here is a quick measurement guide for waterproofing.
(Again, please note that the dust proofing also has a separate rating system and the following is not it).
- 0 – No protection.
• 1 – Dripping water shall have no harmful effect.
• 2 – Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect with enclosure is tilted at 15°.
• 3 – Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical.
• 4 – Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction.
• 5 – Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction.
• 6 – Water projected in powerful jets (12.5mm nozzle) from any direction.
• 6K – Powerful water jets with increased pressure.
• 7 – Immersion, up to 1m depth for up to 30 minutes.
• 8 – Immersion, 1m or more depth (exact details vary).
• 9K – Powerful high temperature water jets.
5 best waterproof phones
So here are five best waterproof phones.
CAT S41 is by far the sturdiest smartphone in the world. It has a strange hardware with buttons on the front when having button-less screen is the norm these days. S41 is a class of its own when it comes to water proofing. It has an IP rating of 70 that means it can last in 2 meters of water for more than one hour. This is quite amazing.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
S8 is Samsung Galaxy’s flagship phone. It has a waterproof variant called Active. The specs are the same. Active is slight more expensive and makes all the difference if you drop it into water. It has IP68 rating for both dust and water which is quite solid.
The iPhone X is the weakest link in our article. Admittedly it is not a very strong phone. But since it is so popular and quite water resistant we decided to include it anyway. It has a water resistant capability of IP67 – that means it can stay in water for about 30 minutes.
Google Pixel 2 is created by HTC. It is a magnificent phone. The water resistant capabilities are close to iPhone at IP67 but the rest of the features make it an immensely better choice than iPhone X. It seems Google is watching the market very closely and making improvements on the go.
You cannot keep LG out of anything these days. The V30 is a beauty with excellent specs and a water resistant capability of IP68. The price tag maybe a bit high when compared to previous LG phones, but it is worth it.